How do I become a millionaire in one year?
This is the question I posed to myself last month, and actually, it was more like this, “I want to be a millionaire by next year, how will I do it?”
I went for a walk, I picked up a beautiful river rock, and I wrote in Sharpie, “Make my first million dollars by June 2018.”
So I had a new goal! a new challenge! Last year I took a challenge to write 100 bedtime stories. It was an incredible and life-changing experience for me, and it really helped me to grow as a person. The 100 bedtime stories challenge, from the 100-day project, was the inspiration for this blog. It is amazing how one moment and one decision can change your life, and you can look back and say, “how could I have made it without that decision” that was what the 100-day project did for me. It really gave me inspiration for living.
Fast forward to today,
I know I want to be a millionaire, so I decided to make it a challenge.
There are so many quotes that use to remind myself of my goal, and one of my favorite quotes is
To get somewhere you have never been you must do something you have never done- Thomas Jefferson
I am going to try to document my journey to make a million dollars.
So far it has looked like this:
- I made the decision that I was tired of not having a million dollars and decided that I was tired of reading about people younger than me making their first million and that I wanted to be a millionaire too. DAMN IT I WANT A MILLION DOLLARS ALREADY!
- I wrote my goal on a rock and put it in the house where I would see it every day and be reminded that even though it is a big goal, it is my goal.
- I googled “how to become a millionaire”
- I started telling everyone I know that my goal is to make a million dollars in the next year. I began announcing this publicly and asking others to join me. Part of this positive energy I attribute to a woman that I met at my last job. We started talking together, and we discussed our goals, the stock market, real estate and travel. We sat at a small table at work, and dreamed together! When is the last time you dreamed with someone? It is such an incredible feeling, and if you have not dreamed with someone lately, I highly suggest that you do it with the person you are next to at this very moment! When I first met my boyfriend, he told me that he used to have dreams, and I asked him what his dreams were. Now, every day I intentionally talk about my dreams with my boyfriend, and he talks about his dreams too. This is one of the happiest things you can do, and it is TRULY powerful. After I talked about my dreams with my coworker, I started making sales like crazy, and I ended up pushing myself to become better and leaving my old job!
- I knew I would need to keep making money. I continued to work a regular job, I got a job at a food stand, just to force myself to make a set amount of money every day. Now, I am working full time as a virtual assistant, and taking classes to increase my skills. These skills I use to help my clients better manage their businesses. I got the job after reading a post on the blog Real Ways to Earn Online I also recently purchased the Real Ways to Earn Online new Ebook, “How to Find Real Work From Home Jobs” and am really enjoying it!
- I Watched the movie, The Secret, and looked up positive affirmations. I decided to make a mental decision to switch my thinking and to let go of thinking patterns that are not in line with who I want to become.
* sometimes this is really difficult! in the movie The Secret, there is a man who is shown very upset about being late, and he keeps thinking how angry he is that he is late, and in the movie, the man ends up becoming late because this is what he is thinking.
I find that I used to think way too much about how other people affected me. Now I no longer dwell on how other people affect me, in fact, I do not think about it. I am putting such positive energy into my dreams, my goals, and my efforts to positively inact change into my life, that this no longer holds me down. I have broken these chains, I am inacting change in my own life, and I am affecting my reality!
7. Thinking of million dollar ideas. I knew that I would have to come up with million dollar ideas, I could not simply work at a normal job, and save my money, to become a millionaire. Since I have set a date to become a millionaire, it is pushing me to actually go through with developing my ideas. When was the last time you had a great idea for a business and thought you would not be able to really ”
When was the last time you had a great idea for a business and thought you would not be able to really “do-it”. For me, this time has passed. Now, I will be writing down my
For me, this time has passed. Now, I will be writing down my
Now, I will be writing down my ideas, and creating action plans for bringing them to fruition.
8. The first idea great idea I had, I latched onto it, and decided to really give it a go. I created the idea of GMMosquites Boxes, which is now in its first round of funding! I have been looking for investors for my idea. I have emailed some investors privately, and have applied at angel investing companies. You can view the company profile on Gust if you are interested in investing.
9. I am applying to better higher paying jobs and re-evaluating my own worth. I am great at what I do, and I am no longer listening to self-doubt. I am bringing my million dollar self to my ventures. That means brushing off insecurities and pushing myself to seek jobs with the best benefits packages, the best pay, the best situation for myself so I can be happiest and the most creative. I am offering more of my personal services to others and investing in my own education by learning new skills. I can use these at my virtual assistant job and in my entrepreneurial endeavors. Also, I completed my Mary Kay University before June 30th, and achieved the goal I set for myself. You can join my Mary Kay team by visiting my website.
10. Pursuing my goals to own real estate. I started watching youtube videos of Grant Cardone. This guy is a genius, he helps me believe in myself, and my abilities to close big deals, he inspires me to dream of things that I have never thought possible.
11. Trying to overcome fear. Yes, I am still nervous about so many things, and navigating how to not let fear control me is a daily task, but I am so powerful that fear is only weakness, and something I am not concerned with anymore.
12. I am taking an online entrepreneur class offered by MIT. It is free, so I decided to take it.
13. Another thing my boyfriend and I decided to do, was to stop discussing anything related to drugs or sex (unless we are talking about it in the bedroom). Talking about this type of thing does nothing for me, and it is not a part of our conversations any longer. We talk about our ideas, our goals and dreams for the future, and how we can make positive changes in our lives, what things we want to collaborate on, art, museums, zoos, and we try to support each other more. We are putting out what we want to get back from life.
14. I am watching videos on how to grow my social media followers and putting conscious effort into growing my following.
These are some of the actionable steps I am taking on my million-dollar challenge. This is not everything that I am doing, but this is part of what I am doing. I am lucky to have a supportive boyfriend, who inspired me to set this goal.
I asked him what it would take for him to stay home with me all day and we just have fun, and he told me “go make a million dollars”, and I said ok.
But even if you do not have loved ones who support you, you can still make it happen! I believe in you and me, and I can’t wait to achieve my goal!
Please comment below how you are making this happen for you, and other ideas on the subject and use the hashtag on social media #milliondollarchallenge or #makeyourfirstmillion
follow me on Twitter @erinelizacotter and on Instagram @erinelizabethcotter